Founding Director of SmileLab
College of Computer and Information Science (Affiliated)
E-mail: yunfu AT ece Dot neu Dot edu
I am continuously looking for excellent Ph.D. students, PostDocs, Visiting Scholars, and Research Associates to work on machine learning, data mining, computer vision, and social media analytics. Please send me your CV if interested.
Research Interests: Machine Learning, Computational Intelligence, Big Data Mining, Computer Vision, Pattern Recognition, and Cyber-Physical Systems
Young Investigator Award (5): [2016 IEEE CIS Outstanding Early Career Award], [2015 National Academy of Engineering US Frontiers of Engineering], [2014 ONR Young Investigator], [2014 ARO Young Investigator], [2014 INNS Young Investigator]
Industry Faculty Award (2): [2015 Adobe Faculty Research Award], [2010 Google Faculty Research Award]
Membership: Global Young Academy (GYA member) IEEE (senior member), ACM (life senior member), AAAI (life member), SPIE (life member), OSA (life member), INNS (member), IMS (life member), Beckman Institute (Beckman Graduate Fellow, 2007-2008)
Associate Editor: IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Leaning Systems (TNNLS) (2013-), IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology (TCSVT) (2011-), Image and Vision Computing (IVCJ)(2015-), Neurocomputing (2008-), International Journal of Pattern Recognition and Artificial Intelligence (IJPRAI) (2011-), Journal of Multimedia (JMM) (2009-), Journal of Electronic Imaging (JEI) (2014-).
- 12/2015, We have 1 ICASSP 2016 and 1 IEEE Transactions on NNLS papers accepted.
- 12/2015, My students Shuyang Wang, Shuhui Jiang, Ming Shao, Zhengming Ding, Handong Zhao and Hongfu Liu received the AAAI Student Travel Award for AAAI 2016. Congratulations!
- 12/2015, My former Ph.D. student Li, Kang's dissertation entitled ˇ°Video event recognition and prediction based on temporal structure analysisˇ± has been featured by IEEE Signal Processing society eNews in the year 2015 at http://www.signalprocessingsociety.org/newsletter/category/ph-d-theses/page/11/.
- 11/2015, I am elected to be Senior Member of ACM.
- 11/2015, We have 6 AAAI 2016 papers accepted. All authors are my students from my SMILE Lab! Congratulations!
11/2014, PI, MITLL, Multimedia Search and Retrieval, $28k, 11/15-11/16.
10/2015, We have 1 IEEE Transactions on IP paper accepted for 2015 publishing.
- 10/2015, I accepted the invitation to serve as Editorial Board member of Image and Vision Computing (IVCJ).
- 09/2015, We have 1 IEEE Transactions on PAMI paper and 1 Elsevier CVIU accepted for 2015 publishing.
- 09/2015, PI, I received the Adobe Research Awards from Adobe, $50k;
- 09/2015, My student Handong Zhao and Hongfu Liu received the ICDM Student Travel Award for ICDM 2015. Congratulations!
- 09/2015, We have 1 ICCV 2015 paper accepted.
- 08/2015, PI, Adobe, Gift donation, $12k; and Co-PI, AFOSR STTR, $60k.
- 08/2015, I am recognized by the IEEE Computational Intelligence Society (CIS) as the awardee of 2016 IEEE CIS Outstanding Early Career Award, for contributions to neural computing, manifold learning, and visual intelligence. [ NEUnews ]
08/2015, We have 2 ICDM 2015 papers accepted.
07/2015, My student Sheng Li received the ACM SIGIR Travel Award for CIKM 15. Congratulations!
07/2015, We have 1 IEEE Transactions on NNLS and 1 IEEE Transactions on IP paper accepted for 2015 publishing.
05/2015, PI, Samsung, Unconstrained Visual Recognition, $132k, 4/15-12/15.
05/2015, We have 1 IEEE Transactions on Affective Computing paper accepted for 2015 publishing.
04/2015, I am promoted to the rank of Associate Professor with Tenure.
03/2015, My student Sheng Li received the 2015 NEU Outstanding Graduate Student Award (Topmost student award in NEU). Congratulations!
02/2015, We have 1 IEEE Transactions on MultiMedia paper accepted for 2015 publishing.
01/2015, our SMILE Lab moved to the new home!
01/2015, PI, NPS, Pinpoint Geolocation using Multi-Source Multi-Dimensional Big Data from Social Media, $450k, 9/15-9/17.
11/2014, PI, Adobe, Gift donation, $9k.
11/2014, My students Zhengming Ding, Kang Li, and Sheng Li received the ICDM 2014 NSF Student Travel Award. Congratulations!
10/2014, PI, MITLL, Multimedia Search and Retrieval, $45k, 11/14-11/15.
09/2014, PI, DHS, Video-Based Re-Identification of Subjects, $60k, 9/14-9/15.
09/2014, We have 1 IEEE Transactions on KDE paper accepted for 2014 publishing.
07/2014, Our ICME2014 paper was selected as one of the 4 ICME2014 Best Paper Award candidates (4 out of 716 submissions).
05/2014, PI, NSF, Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) Award, $16k, 6/14-12/15.
05/2014, We have 1 IEEE Transactions on CSVT paper accepted for 2014 publishing.
[ More.. ]
- Fall 2015, EECE 5698 - Introduction to Visualization [CourseWeb]
- Spring 2015, EECE 3464 - Linear Systems [CourseWeb]
- Fall 2014, EECE 5698 - Introduction to Visualization [CourseWeb]
Spring 2014, CS 5320 - Digital Image Processing [CourseWeb]
- Fall 2013, EECE 5698 - Introduction to Visualization [CourseWeb]
- Spring 2013, EECE 3464 - Linear Systems [CourseWeb]
Spring 2013, EECE 2411 - Introduction to ECE Lab [ CourseWeb ]
Recent Publications [Full-List]
Yun Fu, Human Activity Recognition and Prediction, Springer, 2015
[J-01] Yu Kong and Yun Fu, Max-Margin Action Prediction Machine, IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (T-PAMI), Volume:, Issue:, Page(s):, 2016.
[J-02] Ming Shao and Yun Fu, Cross-Modality Feature Learning through Generic Hierarchical Hyperlingual-Words, IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems (T-NNLS), Volume:, Issue:, Page(s):, 2016.
[J-03] Yu Kong and Yun Fu, Close Human Interaction Recognition using Patch-aware Models, IEEE Transactions on Image Processing (T-IP), Volume:, Issue:, Page(s):, 2015.
Zhengming Ding, Ming Shao, and Yun Fu, Missing Modality Transfer Learning via Latent Low-Rank Constraint, IEEE Transactions on Image Processing (T-IP), Volume:, Issue:, Page(s):, 2015.
Sheng Li and Yun Fu, Learning Robust and Discriminative Subspace with Low-Rank Constraints, IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems (T-NNLS), Volume:, Issue:, Page(s):, 2015.
Sheng Li and Yun Fu, Learning Balanced and Unbalanced Graphs via Low-Rank Coding, IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (T-KDE), Volume: 27, Issue: 5, Page(s): 1274-1287, 2015.
Yu Kong, Behnam Satarboroujeni, and Yun Fu, Learning Hierarchical 3D Kernel Descriptors for RGB-D Action Recognition, Computer Vision and Image Understanding(CVIU), Volume:, Issue:, Page(s):, 2015.
Mohammad Soleymani, Sadjad Asghari-Esfeden, Yun Fu, and Maja Pantic, Analysis of EEG signals and facial expressions for continuous emotion detection, IEEE Transactions on Affective Computing (T-AF), Volume:, Issue:, Page(s):, 2015.
Shuhui Jiang, Xueming Qian, Jialie Shen, Yun Fu, and Tao Mei, Author Topic Model-based Collaborative Filtering for Personalized POI Recommendations, IEEE Transactions on MultiMedia (T-MM), Volume:17, Issue:6, Page(s): 907-918, 2015.