Founding Director of SmileLab
College of Computer and Information Science (Affiliated)
E-mail: yunfu AT ece Dot neu Dot edu
I am continuously looking for excellent Ph.D. students, PostDocs, Visiting Scholars, and Research Associates to work on machine learning, data mining, computer vision, and social media analytics. Please send me your CV if interested.
Research Interests: Machine Learning and Computational Intelligence, Social Media Analytics, Human-Computer Interaction, and Cyber-Physical Systems
Associate Editor: IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Leaning Systems (TNNLS) (2013-), IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology (TCSVT) (2011-), Neurocomputing (2008-), International Journal of Pattern Recognition and Artificial Intelligence (IJPRAI) (2011-), Journal of Multimedia (JMM) (2009-), Journal of Electronic Imaging (JEI) (2014-).
- 07/2015, My student Sheng Li received the ACM SIGIR Travel Award for CIKM 15. Congratulations!
- 07/2015, We have 1 IEEE Transactions on NNLS and 1 IEEE Transactions on IP paper accepted for 2015 publishing.
- 06/2015, We have 1 CIKM 2015 paper accepted.
05/2015, PI, Samsung, Unconstrained Visual Recognition, $132k, 4/15-12/15.
- 05/2015, I am selected as one of the 2015 National Academy of Engineering US Frontiers of Engineering by NAE.
- 05/2015, We have 1 IEEE Transactions on Affective Computing paper accepted for 2015 publishing.
- 04/2015, I am promoted to the rank of Associate Professor with Tenure.
- 03/2015, My student Sheng Li received the 2015 NEU Outstanding Graduate Student Award (Topmost student award in NEU). Congratulations!
- 03/2015, We have 1 CVPR 2015 paper accepted.
- 02/2015, We have 1 IEEE Transactions on MultiMedia paper accepted for 2015 publishing.
- 01/2015, our SMILE Lab moved to the new home!
- 01/2015, PI, NPS, Pinpoint Geolocation using Multi-Source Multi-Dimensional Big Data from Social Media, $450k, 9/15-9/17.
- 01/2015, We have 4 FG 2015 papers accepted.
- 12/2014, We have 2 SDM 2015 full papers accepted.
- 11/2014, PI, Adobe, Gift donation, $9k.
- 11/2014, My students Zhengming Ding, Kang Li, and Sheng Li received the ICDM 2014 NSF Student Travel Award. Congratulations!
10/2014, PI, MITLL, Multimedia Search and Retrieval, $45k, 11/14-11/15.
09/2014, PI, DHS, Video-Based Re-Identification of Subjects, $60k, 9/14-9/15.
- 09/2014, Co-PI, NIH, Multimodal Speech Translation for Assistive Communication, $489,200, 9/14-9/16
- 09/2014, We have 2 ICDM 2014 Regular papers accepted (Acceptance rate is 9.7%). Congratulations!
- 09/2014, My students Chengcheng Jia, Shuyang Wang, and Zhengming Ding received the ACM MM 2014 Student Travel Award. Congratulations!
- 09/2014, We have 1 IEEE Transactions on KDE paper accepted for 2014 publishing.
- 09/2014, I accepted the invitation to serve as Associate Editor of Journal of Electronic Imaging (JEI).
- 08/2014, I am elected as the Chair of IEEE Boston Computational Intelligence Chapter (CIS011).
- 08/2014, Co-PI, NSF, Wireless Sensing of Speech Kinematics and Acoustics for Remediation, $150k, 9/14-9/16
- 07/2014, We have 1 Full (Long) ACM MM 2014 paper and 1 short paper accepted.
- 07/2014, Our ICME2014 paper was selected as one of the 4 ICME2014 Best Paper Award candidates (4 out of 716 submissions).
- 06/2014, We have 1 ECCV 2014 paper and 2 ECCV14-workshop papers accepted.
- 06/2014, PI, I received the 2014 DOD DURIP Award from the Department of Defense (DOD). $240k, 6/14-6/15.
05/2014, PI, NSF, Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) Award, $16k, 6/14-12/15.
- 05/2014, We have 1 IEEE Transactions on CSVT paper accepted for 2014 publishing.
04/2014, PI, I received the 2014 ARO Young Investigator Award from the Army Research Office (ARO). $150k, 5/14-5/17.
- 04/2014, We received the 2014 SDM Best Paper Award from SIAM SDM
- 04/2014, PI, I received the 2014 ONR Young Investigator Award from the Office of Naval Research (ONR). $510k, 6/14-6/17.
- Fall 2015, EECE 5698 - Introduction to Visualization [CourseWeb]
- Spring 2015, EECE 3464 - Linear Systems [CourseWeb]
- Fall 2014, EECE 5698 - Introduction to Visualization [CourseWeb]
Spring 2014, CS 5320 - Digital Image Processing [CourseWeb]
- Fall 2013, EECE 5698 - Introduction to Visualization [CourseWeb]
- Spring 2013, EECE 3464 - Linear Systems [CourseWeb]
- Spring 2013, EECE 2411 - Introduction to ECE Lab [ CourseWeb ]
Recent Publications [Full-List]
[B-01] Yun Fu, Low-Rank and Sparse Modeling for Visual Analysis, Springer, 2014
[J-01] Sheng Li and Yun Fu, Learning Robust and Discriminative Subspace with Low-Rank Constraints, IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems (T-NNLS), Volume:, Issue:, Page(s):, 2015.
[J-02] Zhengming Ding, Ming Shao, and Yun Fu, Missing Modality Transfer Learning via Latent Low-Rank Constraint, IEEE Transactions on Image Processing (T-IP), Volume:, Issue:, Page(s):, 2015.
[J-03] Mohammad Soleymani, Sadjad Asghari-Esfeden, Yun Fu, and Maja Pantic, Analysis of EEG signals and facial expressions for continuous emotion detection, IEEE Transactions on Affective Computing (T-AF), Volume:, Issue:, Page(s):, 2015.
[J-04] Shuhui Jiang, Xueming Qian, Jialie Shen, Yun Fu, and Tao Mei, Author Topic Model-based Collaborative Filtering for Personalized POI Recommendations, IEEE Transactions on MultiMedia (T-MM), Volume:17, Issue:6, Page(s): 907-918, 2015.
[J-05] Sheng Li and Yun Fu, Learning Balanced and Unbalanced Graphs via Low-Rank Coding, IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (T-KDE), Volume: 27, Issue: 5, Page(s): 1274-1287, 2015.
Acknowledgements of Support
Last Update: 7-24-2015, Copyright 2004~2016, Raymond Fu, All Rights Reserved